Bioptica Laser Aesthetics
(click on News page for details)
LPA Support in England
Whether you need to register with the CQC (Care Quality Commission) and / or fulfil the requirements of your Local Authority, we can provide the LPA Support you need.
CQC Regulations in England
Whilst reference should always be made to the CQC website for the detail, the basic situation from 01-Oct-2010 onwards can be summarised in broad brush terms as follows.
Registration with the CQC is required for establishments (in England) in which Class 3B or Class 4 lasers, or Intense Pulsed Light devices, are used by healthcare professionals (i.e. doctors, nurses etc.) to “treat disease, disorder or injury”.
Local Authority Regulations In England
For establishments that do not employ healthcare professionals (i.e. doctors, nurses etc.) to “treat disease, disorder or injury”, registration with the CQC is not required.
However the following regulations and guidance are universally applicable on an ongoing basis:
- Health and Safety at Work Act
- Artificial Optical Radiation Directive
- Department of Health / MHRA Guidance: “Lasers, intense light source systems and LEDs – guidance for safe use in medical, surgical, dental and aesthetic practices; September 2015”
In London licensing is required under the following legislation:
- London Local Authorities Act 1991
Subsequent to the withdrawal of the CQC in October 2010 various voluntary schemes have been developed:
- BMLA (British Medical Laser Association) www.bmla.co.uk
Regulation of Establishments using Class 3B & 4 Lasers and Intense Pulsed Light Systems: Ensuring Good Practice
- IHAS (Independent Healthcare Advisory Services)
Essential Standards for Class 3B and Class 4 Lasers and Intense Pulsed Light Systems (ILS) in non surgical applications
- Save Face www.saveface.co.uk
The Importance of using a Certificated LPA:
Our LPAs are certificated by the Association of Laser Safety Professionals (ALSP).
ALSP is listed as a Certification Body under the following Department of Health Guidelines: MHRA DB2008(03), Section 3.3.2